What is a speedometer is not working inspection?
A speedometer calculates the speed of the vehicle while it’s in operation. When the speedometer fails to capture and relay this information, your driving becomes a danger to yourself and others.
A speedometer is not working inspection should cover:
- Broken speed sensor: One of the purposes of the speed sensor is to indicate the vehicle’s speed, which helps regulate fuel flow, ignition timing, and cruise control.
- Faulty fuse or bad wiring: Exposed wires often short out—especially when driving in wet conditions—and can result in a blown fuse. If a speedometer’s fuse malfunctions, the speedometer will remain at zero.
- Malfunctioning ECU: The ECU is a car’s brain and is responsible for monitoring various aspects of its operation, including its speed. If the ECU is malfunctioning, it may lose its ability to identify the speed of the vehicle.
How to service a speedometer is not working inspection
A speedometer is not working inspection might look something like this:
- A mechanic will start by inspecting the vehicle with a code reader/scanner to review error codes that came from the car. This will also help them determine what components might have failed.
- If the speed sensor has malfunctioned, the mechanic will locate the sensor and then examine it and the wires for any surface damage. Then, the old sensor will be removed and a new one will be installed.
- If the issue is the fuse or a faulty wire, the mechanic will replace either or both of these parts.
- If the ECU is the problem, then the repair might include replacing the whole unit. They might first try to reset it, but this is often only a band-aid solution.
How important is a speedometer is not working inspection?
By all accounts, this inspection is very important. Driving without knowing your speed is incredibly reckless and dangerous—and could cause an accident.
If your speedometer is not working, you should call your mechanic right away to book an appointment.
Upgrade to affordable insurance
Your speedometer needs to be working for your car to be safe to drive. Once you’ve had this issue inspected and fixed, it’s a good idea to review your car insurance.
Jerry, the comparison shopping app, will find you the right coverage at the most affordable price. All you have to do is download the app and take 45 seconds to sign up. From there, Jerry will get you quotes from 50+ providers based on your insurance needs and handle the paperwork to finalize your new policy.
“Jerry is an amazing app. Thanks to it, I saved a lot of money for my Tesla Model 3’s insurance. I’m so glad I downloaded the app!” —Erza S.