What is a coolant reservoir replacement?
If your vehicle’s coolant reservoir is broken or cracked, you will need to get it replaced with a new reservoir to ensure your engine is cooled properly and works as intended.
Sometimes, your engine’s excess heat can warp your car’s coolant reservoir, necessitating a replacement. However, this is rare.
How is a cooling reservoir replaced?
Your mechanic will take the following steps to replace a broken, cracked, or in some cases, warped, cooling reservoir with a new one:
- Drain coolant from the damaged reservoir into the proper container, remove coolant recovery cap
- Disconnect damaged reservoir from all hoses and remove it
- Install and secure new reservoir and secure hoses with new clamps
- Refill coolant and purge any air as per manufacturer’s instructions
- Test new reservoir for proper operation
When do I need to replace my coolant reservoir?
The following are some of the most common signs that your coolant reservoir needs replacing:
- You notice coolant is leaking onto the ground when your engine is hot
- Your engine overheats—this is often caused by an airlock that forms when fluid leaks and the air hose has no excess fluid to draw back in (from the reservoir) to the cooling system
How important is a coolant reservoir replacement service?
An intact coolant reservoir prevents airlocks from forming in your car’s cooling system, which can lead to your engine overheating. Therefore, replacing a damaged coolant reservoir is extremely important.
Some tips to keep in mind when trying to determine if your coolant reservoir needs replacing:
- Engine coolant is extremely hot—never open your vehicle’s coolant system while your engine is still hot
- When your coolant is being changed out, ask your mechanic to also flush the surge tank out
Protect your vehicle with Jerry
Maintaining your car’s cooling reservoir is vital to keeping your car’s cooling system working as it should—so protect it and your entire vehicle with a robust car insurance policy from Jerry!
“Jerry found me useful quotes immediately, so I switched over my insurance in under an hour! I’m now helping my parents use Jerry because they just bought a new car.” —Brindi J.
Haven’t shopped for insurance in the last six months? There might be hundreds $$$ in savings waiting for you.
Judith switched to Progressive
Saved $725 annually
Alexander switched to Travelers
Saved $834 annually
Annie switched to Nationwide
Saved $668 annually