What is a control arm assembly replacement?
During this service, the mechanic will disassemble the wheel and tire to assess the control arm assembly components located in the front and rear of your vehicle and replace them.
The total cost of parts and labor to replace the control arm assemble ranges between $264 and $900 depending on the car you drive and the auto repair shop you go to.
How to replace a control arm assembly
The mechanic will complete the following steps to replace the control arm assembly:
- Take apart the wheel and tire assembly
- Detach the stabilizer bar links from the control arm and disconnect the ABS wiring if applicable
- Remove the control arm mounting bolts from the frame and axle carrier if the control arm is located in the back
- Remove the nut from the ball joint stud and push the stud through the steering knuckle to disconnect the front control arm
- Inspect the control arm for corrosion or damage
- Install the new control arm using new mounting bolts or fasteners
- Test drive the vehicle to make sure the problem is resolved
Your vehicle will need to be realigned after the control arm assembly is replaced. The mechanic will refer you to a professional alignment shop to have your car aligned to factory specifications.
When do I need to replace my control arm assembly?
You’ll need to replace your car’s control arm assembly promptly if you notice the following symptoms:
- Wheel alignment issues
- Clunking or squeaking noises when you drive over bumps in the road
- Vehicle pulls to one side when you are braking
- Constant steering correction because vehicle won’t track straight when driving
If you are in an accident and notice symptoms take your car to a mechanic immediately to have the control arm inspected for damages. You can continue to drive your vehicle until you schedule a repair if the problem is limited to noise issues.
How to save money on car insurance
If you need to save money on car ownership, don’t cut repair costs, shop cheap car insurance and keep the coverage with Jerry instead.
A licensed broker, Jerry does all the hard work of finding cheap quotes from the top name-brand insurance companies and buying new car insurance. Jerry will even help you cancel your old policy, and if you ever have any questions, agents are just a text away!
“Jerry had a super simple app that was easy to navigate. And their terrific customer service made everything even easier. Plus I saved $700 in a single year.” —Lucia M.