What is a clutch cable replacement?
A clutch cable is what allows you to shift gears in a manual transmission vehicle. Because the clutch is placed under constant pressure while driving, the cable is prone to wear and tear and should be replaced every few years.
Luckily, the repair process is relatively straightforward and can be completed quickly by either you or a mechanic.
How to replace a clutch cable
Here are the steps involved in a cable clutch replacement:
- Raise the vehicle on jack stands
- Remove the old clutch cable out from the clutch pedal and transmission
- Connect a new clutch cable to the clutch pedal and transmission
- Remove the jack stands and lower the vehicle
- Press down on the clutch pedal to check assembly
- Test drive vehicle by double clutching
How do I know if I need a clutch cable replacement?
Clutch cables typically need to be replaced every two years. However, the following are three major indicators that they need immediate replacing:
- The clutch pedal is unresponsive unless extreme pressure is applied
- The clutch pedal fails to revert to its original position after being pressed
- The transmission is hard to shift
How important is a clutch cable replacement?
By ignoring the signs of a defective clutch cable, you run the risk of damaging the clutch kit or the transmission system in its entirety. Not only that, but neglecting regular clutch cable maintenance can result in repairs that are far more costly down the road.
How to find cheap car insurance
Now that your clutch cable is good as new, it’s time to find a car insurance policy that is even better. Fortunately, Jerry can help!
A licensed car insurance broker, Jerry finds affordable quotes from the top name-brand companies and helps you find a policy that works best for you. Jerry will even help you cancel your old policy.
Jerry will also send you new quotes every time your policy comes up for renewal, so you’re always getting the lowest rates.
“I love how easy it was for me, as someone who has an older beat-up truck, to get insurance without going through a lot of trouble. I would recommend anyone try Jerry since it’s free!” —Melissa I.