What does it mean if a car is hard to shift?
Shifting problems usually indicate a problem with the transmission. (FYI: There’s no way around it—transmission problems can be complicated and costly.) Your mechanic will likely start by checking out the following components:
- Transmission fluid: A leak means that the transmission does not have enough fluid. Dirty fluids lead to inefficiency in shifting.
- Transmission solenoids: Solenoids control how much fluid moves around the transmission.
- Transmission: Vehicles with more than 100,000 miles on the odometer are especially vulnerable to transmission problems. Clunking or humming sounds are clear indicators of a mechanical problem.
- Shifter cable: This cable connects the shifter handle to the transmission. If it is broken or stretched, the misalignment could cause problems shifting.
- Clutch: A failing clutch has a spongy feeling, and you may also smell something burning. Malfunctioning clutches make it very difficult to shift.
How to get a transmission inspection when your car is hard to shift
Your transmission will need a thorough inspection in this situation. Call a garage and explain that your car is hard to shift. Describe any specific sounds you have been hearing, like grinding or clunking.
Mechanics may inspect:
- Transmission fluid
- Shifter cable
How long will a transmission inspection take?
The transmission is one of the most complex pieces of machinery in a vehicle. A thorough inspection can take at least half a day to complete. If the transmission needs a complete replacement, your car could spend several days in the shop.
How do I know if I need to get a transmission inspection when my car is hard to shift?
On top of difficulty sifting, bad smells and bad sounds are clear indicators of a transmission problem. You might hear clunking, grinding, or humming when you try to shift gears. Slow acceleration may also be a problem.
How important is a transmission inspection
Trouble shifting may not seem very important, but transmission trouble is very serious. Do not delay this service.
A malfunctioning transmission can self-destruct, which is dangerous and expensive to repair. The longer you wait, the higher the chance that your vehicle will suffer more damage.
Finding affordable car insurance
No matter where you live or what car you drive, you can find affordable car insurance with Jerry.
Jerry gathers information from over 50 top insurers so that you never miss out on any savings. Just browse through dozens of competitive quotes, select the one you like best, and Jerry will do the heavy lifting and help to cancel your existing policy and get you switched over.
“I thought my previous insurance rate was the best I could get since I have a luxury SUV. After Jerry found me quotes, I ended up paying only $80 a month for the same exact coverage. I’ll be shopping for auto insurance through Jerry from now on!” —Petra S.