What is a brake wheel cylinder replacement?
If the wheel cylinders are worn out, the mechanic will replace them with new ones. Wheel cylinders can wear down and leak brake fluid over time, which reduces the potency of the brakes.
Brake wheel cylinders press the brake shoes against the brake drums, which is what causes the friction necessary to slow or stop the vehicle. These are found in the rear brake system inside the brake drums.
How to replace your brake wheel cylinder
When you need new brake wheel cylinders, the mechanic will usually do the following:
- Examine the rear wheel cylinders for any fluid leakage
- Inspect the rear brake shoes and other hardware
- Replace the wheel cylinders if necessary
- Adjust the rear brakes
- Lubricate the backing plates
- Assure the axle seals aren’t leaking into the brake drums
- Bleed the whole brake system (remove any trapped air)
- Do a full brake inspection and test drive
When do I need to get my brake wheel cylinders replaced?
The brake wheel cylinders, as with your entire brake system, should probably be inspected once per year. That said, there are a few symptoms that indicate you may need to replace the brake wheel cylinders:
- Your brake pedal goes all the way to the floor of your car
- You hear noise from the rear brakes
- You notice fluid leaking under the car near your back tires
If your wheel cylinders stop working, your brake shoes won’t have enough force to stop the car as well as they should, so faulty wheel cylinders could be a safety issue. If you notice any abnormalities with your brakes, be sure to get them checked out as soon as possible.
How to find cheap car insurance
While keeping your car running smoothly, make sure you also take care of your vehicle with the best car insurance coverage. Using Jerry can find you the most affordable coverage with the tap of your thumb.
If you find a great deal and decide to switch policies, Jerry can take care of the hassle—and can even help you cancel your old policy. Before every renewal period, Jerry will also present you with *new* quotes, so you’ll always have the best coverage at the best price.
“Sometimes I get social anxiety, so chatting on the phone can be painful. With Jerry, I just used their app and everything went amazingly well. Super simple for my first time buying.” —Daisy V.