What is a brake hose replacement?
When getting a brake hose replacement service, the mechanic will assess the hose to confirm that a replacement is needed. The mechanic will also check all other hoses to see if there are others due for a replacement.
The brakes need the brake hose to function—it carries the brake fluid from the brake line to the brake caliper on the wheel.
If the brake hose is leaking, insufficient brake fluid would reach the brake caliper. The brakes would not be able to function at full capacity. A snapped hose would cause the brakes to completely lose their function.
How to replace a brake hose
The mechanic will follow these general steps to replace the brake hose:
- Jack up the vehicle and support it with steel jack stands
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly
- Place a pan underneath the car to catch brake fluid
- Relieve residual pressure in the brake line by briefly opening the brake caliper bleed screw
- Detach each hose end and remove the hose
- Install the new hose with new copper-sealing washers and factory OEM torque on the tube nut and banjo bolt
- Bleed the brake system to remove all the air and road test vehicle
- Do a final check for leaks after the road test
When do I need to replace my brake hose?
If you see any physical damage or seepage, it's time to replace your brake hose.
Other signs to look out for that may indicate a damaged brake hose include:
- Physical damage—cuts, cracks, abrasions, bulging, or rust at the hose fitting ends
- Internal hose failure—can cause fluid blockages and is diagnosed using test gauges
- End of lifetime—if you haven’t changed your hose in 10 years, it’s best to replace the hose
A broken hose poses a great risk to you and cars around you, as your brakes will not be fully functional. This increases the risk of a collision, as your vehicle would not stop as quickly if the car in front of you suddenly brakes.
It is recommended that you have the brake hose’s condition inspected every time your car is serviced. This allows the mechanic to monitor for any physical damages before they cause leakages.
How to find affordable car insurance
Finding the right insurance that covers your car maintenance is essential but overwhelming, but using the car insurance broker app, Jerry will save you the hassle.
Not only will Jerry find you the best quotes for the coverage you need, but it can also do it in under 45 seconds. You just need to choose the policy you want and Jerry will help you handle any paperwork, phone calls, and cancellations if you switch.
Since Jerry specializes in finding savings across insurance carriers, it has helped the average Jerry user save $879 a year on car insurance premiums!
“I love how easy it was for me, as someone who has an older beat-up truck, to get insurance without going through a lot of trouble. I would recommend anyone try Jerry since it’s free!” —Melissa I.