Why you can trust Jerry
Jerry partners with some of the companies we write about. However, our content is written and reviewed by an independent team of editors and licensed insurance agents, and never influenced by our partnerships. Learn more baout how we make money, review our editorial standards, reference out data methodology, or view a list of our partners
- What does the engine code P0401 mean?
- How much will it cost to fix?
- What can cause the P0401 engine code?
- Common symptoms of the P0401 engine code
- How serious is the P0401 engine code?
- Can I fix the P0401 engine code myself?
- Find affordable insurance for your car
Load full table of contents
If a P0401 engine code is showing for your car, then an exhaust gas recirculation flow insufficient has been detected. This can be rather serious and should be diagnosed and repaired immediately.
The role of diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) is to identify specific issues within a car’s engine. It’s good to have an understanding of what these engine codes mean to ensure your car is safe to drive and to avoid costly repairs.
Car insurance comparison and broker app Jerry has compiled all the important information you need on DTCs and is an expert in helping you save on car insurance. This guide takes a deep dive into the P0410 engine code to explain the issue, how you should approach the situation, and how much it might cost to fix.
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
Let Jerry find your price in only 45 seconds
No spam · No long forms · No fees
What does the engine code P0401 mean?
Definition: Exhaust gas recirculation flow insufficient detected
This engine code means that the car’s computer has detected insufficient exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) flow in the system.
How much will it cost to fix?
To diagnose this problem, a mechanic typically needs about one hour of labor. Most auto shops charge between $75 and $150 per hour, so this cost depends on where you take your car to be serviced.
Total repair costs should fall in the $150 to $750 range, including parts and labor.
What can cause the P0401 engine code?
Insufficient exhaust gas recirculation flow could be the result of the following issues with your engine:
- A clogged EGR passage
- A faulty EGR vacuum modulator valve
- A faulty EGR valve
- A faulty EGR solenoid valve harness is open or shorted
- An EGR solenoid valve circuit with poor electrical connection
- A dead or weak battery
- A faulty EGR temperature sensor and circuit
- An exhaust gas leak
Common symptoms of the P0401 engine code
This engine code shows when low EGR flow control is detected. Two possible symptoms that can come from it are:
- Engine light on (or service engine soon warning light)
- Engine hesitation
How serious is the P0401 engine code?
P0401 engine code is rather serious and should be repaired as soon as possible. A faulty EGR valve can cause ignition pre-ignition in the engine, potentially damaging the valves and pistons.
Can I fix the P0401 engine code myself?
If you are comfortable with auto repair then you can fix this problem yourself. Start by performing a diagnostic to identify the exact problem:
- Visually inspect the wiring harness and connectors
- Look for components that may be damaged or if the connector’s pins are broken, bent, pushed out, or corroded
The next step is to repair the P0401 engine code:
- Replace the clogged or leaking EGR valve
- Replace the broken vacuum line that runs from the EGR valve to the control solenoid
- Replace an EGR temperature sensor (or clean any carbon on it) if you find that it is not properly registering the temperature change.
- Clear any blockages by cleaning the carbon out of the EGR tubes to the intake manifold.
Find affordable insurance for your car
Jerry can help you find the best insurance coverage at a low price.
As a comparison app and licensed insurance broker, Jerry will present you with the best coverage options from 50+ top insurance companies. It only takes a couple of minutes to download the app and answer a few questions—then Jerry will take care of the rest!
And the best part? The average Jerry user saves a whopping $887 annually on their car insurance.
“I had a great experience using Jerry for the first time. Once my boyfriend buys his new car, we’ll use Jerry together to make sure he doesn’t end up overpaying on new insurance!” —Stephanie S.
Compare auto insurance policies
No spam or unwanted phone calls · No long forms · No fees, ever