Drivers who use Jerry to switch to Kemper will save an average of $1,163 per year on their car insurance coverage.
If you’re looking for a quick, easy way to save on your car insurance—and ditch all the legwork that comes with shopping around and making a switch—Jerry is a free broker tool that will help you find great rates.
It’s this simple: download the Jerry
app and answer a few questions. In less than 45 seconds, Jerry collects all of your information from your existing insurer and presents you with competitive quotes from up to 45 top insurance companies. Choose the one you like and Jerry takes care of the rest—securing your new policy and canceling your old one.
Check out these quotes from Jerry users:
Quick look: Kemper car insurance
|High-risk drivers, SR-22 drivers, or drivers with bad credit|
|Families with young or high-risk drivers on their policy|
|Drivers looking for an insurance policy sold directly through the company|
What coverages does Kemper offer?
Kemper Corp. is composed of three separate auto insurance companies. Drivers can purchase many standard insurance options, plus upgraded packages that provide more robust coverage.
Kemper Preferred offers policies sold through an agent and is considered a good option for families.
Kemper Direct provides online-only policies that bypass the agent.
Kemper Speciality specializes in non-standard car insurance policies. It’s a popular choice with high-risk drivers and owners of classic or rare vehicle models that can be complicated to insure.
Most common coverages
- Liability insurance: Liability insurance helps protect drivers from lawsuits if they cause an accident. Drivers in almost all states are legally required to purchase a minimum amount of bodily injury liability and property damage liability insurance.
- Comprehensive insurance: Comprehensive coverage is a popular full-coverage option that will protect you if your car is damaged by external events like weather, fires, or theft. Comprehensive insurance is optional in all states, but drivers who loan or lease are often required to have it.
- Collision insurance: Collision coverage is also optional but usually required with a car loan or lease. It will help cover damage to your car if you get into a rollover or collide with another car or stationary object.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist protection: Uninsured/underinsured motorist protection will help cover your expenses if you get an accident caused by a driver who doesn’t carry enough insurance. It’s required in some states and a good thing to have in any area with a high percentage of uninsured drivers.
- Medical payments coverage: MedPay will help cover medical expenses for you and your passengers if you’re involved in an accident—regardless of who is at fault.
- Kemper Prime Auto Enhanced: A package policy upgrade that includes access to a diverse range of additional coverage, including personal property protection insurance, accident forgiveness, key or transmitter device repair coverage, and trip interruption expense protection. Drivers will also be rewarded with a diminishing deductible for maintaining safe driving habits. The deductible will be waived if the damage happened when the car was parked.
- Kemper Total: This option is similar to new car replacement insurance in that when you purchase the Kemper Total package, you’ll receive the amount necessary to fully repair or replace a car after a claim—not just the actual cash value just before the accident occurred. This is a good option for new car drivers who want to offset the risks associated with depreciation or people who own rare, vintage, or antique collector models.
- Auto loan/lease insurance: Commonly referred to as gap insurance, this coverage will kick in to help cover the difference between the actual cash value of the car and the amount left owing on a loan or lease.
- Roadside assistance: Often referred to as towing and labor coverage, Kemper’s offers 24/7 roadside assistance policy rider that provides access to helpful services like lockout assistance, fuel deliveries, and towing.
How much does Kemper auto insurance cost?
The average annual car insurance premium for minimum insurance with Kemper Preferred is $1,149. A Kemper Direct policy will cost an average of $X per year. Kemper Speciality customers can expect to pay an average of $X per year for their non-standard coverage.
For upgraded full coverage with comprehensive and collision policies, the average Kemper Preferred premium is $1,907. A Kemper Direct policy will go up to about $X per year, while Kemper Speciality customers can expect to pay an average of $X per year for a full-coverage upgrade.
Keep in mind that policy prices can vary according to your personal situation. Insurance companies take many different factors into account when calculating your rates—from the type of car, you drive to your home state to your age and driving history. They all help determine your premium.
Here are the average monthly payments for minimum and full-coverage insurance with Kemper:
|Average Monthly Cost for Minimum Coverage||Average Monthly Cost for Full Coverage|
Younger drivers insured with Kemper Preferred will usually pay $1,912 per year, while older drivers can expect more affordable rates—about $2,020 per year.
The same goes for Kemper Direct customers, where younger drivers pay an average of $X annually and older drivers only pay about $X per year.
Younger drivers who have a policy for Kemper Speciality will pay an average of $X annually, and a policy for an older driver will usually cost about $X.
Age is almost always an important consideration for car insurance providers, mainly because younger drivers are statistically more likely to get in an accident than older drivers. For this reason, younger drivers will typically be considered high-risk regardless of their actual driving record. They pay more for their premiums as a result.
Here’s what drivers pay with Kemper based on their age group:
Kemper auto insurance caters to a wide range of car insurance needs. Even high-risk drivers who might be ineligible for a Kemper Preferred or Kemper Direct policy will be able to take out a policy through Kemper Speciality to fulfill their legal insurance requirements.
No matter what Kemper auto insurance company you’re insured with, you can expect your premiums to increase after recent accidents
—through purchasing an accident forgiveness upgrade can help protect your rates.
This is the annual cost of Kemper insurance for drivers with an infraction on their record:
Key Takeaway Kemper offers insurance for drivers of all ages, including high-risk drivers. Drivers with infractions or accidents on their record can expect to pay higher rates.
Kemper insurance is available in 28 states across the US:
- New Jersey
- New York
- South Carolina
If you’re looking for an easy way to compare cheap car insurance rates fast, Jerry
is a free AI-based app that takes the legwork out of insurance shopping and leaves you with savings.
Just download the app and answer a few short questions, then Jerry will present you with a list of rates from top providers in your area. Customize your policy options, make your pick, and Jerry takes it from there—canceling your old policy and handling the switchover. You get all the savings and coverage with none of the usual hassles.
This is the average annual cost of Kemper insurance by state, before and after using Jerry:
Key Takeaway Jerry will help you find the most affordable car insurance coverage options in your home state fast.
If you want to reduce your car insurance premiums even further, Kemper offers a number of discounts that can help with that. The more discounts you can combine, the more you’ll save.
These are some of the most common driver- and vehicle-based discounts from Kemper:
|Defensive driver||Complete an approved defensive driving or driver training course to save money on your premiums.|
|Good student||Students who maintain at least a B average could be eligible to save.|
|Away at school||Kemper offers discounts to families who have a driver on their policy who is away from home attending school.|
|Anti-theft||Having certain anti-theft or safety features in your car could save you money on your Kemper insurance policy.|
|Military discount||Active and retired service members, as well as junior and senior military academy cadets, are all eligible for discounts with Kemper.|
Here are some common policy-based discounts with Kemper:
|Multi-policy||Bundle Kemper home and auto insurance to get potential discounts on your premiums.|
|Multi-car||Insuring multiple vehicles from the same home on one policy may be able to help you save on your premium.|
Kemper doesn’t offer much in terms of extras, but the company does provide a Kemper Auto Insurance app to make it easy to manage your policy and access your insurance documents on the go. Kemper also offers specialized features—like text alerts—to high-risk drivers who are at risk of having their policy canceled.
Kemper does not have a telematics program, so drivers interested in usage-based discounts might want to look elsewhere.
In addition to standard and non-standard auto insurance, Kemper also provides a full range of other insurance products:
- Homeowners / renters / condo
- Mobile home
- Personal valuables
- Life / health
- Motorcycle / ATV / RV
- Commercial auto
- Classic cars
- Commercial personal liability
- Personal umbrella liability
Things to keep in mind
Drivers can use the Kemper payment portal to pay their policy balance online. Kemper Preferred or Speciality customers may also call up an agent to make a payment.
The easiest way to cancel a Kemper insurance policy is to call a local agent. You can also contact the company via email or send a cancelation request in the mail—just be sure to provide your policy number and the effective cancelation date.
According to Kemper, you may be charged both company and agent fees for processing cancelations. If you want to secure a refund for any cancelation fees, Jerry
might be able to help.