AAA Car Insurance Review 2022
Find out if you're getting ripped off on your car insurance in less than two minutes.
Savings found every month
Drivers who make the switch to AAA with Jerry save an average of $1,122 per year on their car insurance.
AAA car insurance is member only and is offered through a network of affiliated insurers across the country. It’s similar to how AAA auto clubs are run—you can buy membership and enjoy AAA benefits at any affiliated motor club in the US.
If you’re on the hunt for car insurance, few things are less fun than filling out multiple forms—not to mention fielding all those follow-up sales calls.
Jerry is an AI-powered comparison shopping app that makes finding great insurance rates simple and hassle-free. Sign-up takes less than a minute and then you’ll be able to browse custom quotes, choose the policy that works best for you, and finalize it—all without calling an insurance agent or completing any forms.
Here are real quotes from Jerry users who switched to AAA:
|Quote Date||Car Make||Car Model||State||City||Name||Age|
|September 22, 2022||Hyundai||Elantra GLS||NY||Central Square||Eunice M.||55-64||$510|
|September 20, 2022||Dodge||Grand Caravan Crew||KS||Mcpherson||Leila H.||35-44||$324|
|September 12, 2022||Bmw||335 XI||PA||Philadelphia||Ronald T.||35-44||$666|
|September 19, 2022||Toyota||RAV4 XLE||PA||Philadelphia||Lenora H.||35-44||$6|
|September 24, 2022||Ford||Focus SES||OK||Idabel||Mittie T.||35-44||$58|
Quick look: AAA car insurance
Good for Wide range of insurance policies available Well established with top-notch financial strength Good customer satisfaction Smooth claims process
What coverages does AAA offer?
AAA provides a variety of coverage options—some required in most states while others are purely optional. The type of coverage options will differ depending on which region you live in. That being said, here’s a rundown of what all agencies selling AAA insurance offer:
Most common coverages
- Liability insurance: Liability insurance is required by law in most states. It includes bodily injury liability and property damage liability, both of which protect other drivers if you’re involved in an accident and you are at fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: Comprehensive coverage is optional in every state, but if you’re leasing or financing a car, you may be required to add it to your policy. This type of insurance covers damage not resulting from a collision such as theft, vandalism, and extreme weather.
- Collision insurance: Collision coverage is also an option but may be mandatory if you’re leasing or financing your vehicle. Collision insurance covers damage to your car resulting from an accident involving another vehicle or fixed object.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist protection: Uninsured/underinsured motorist protection reimburses you for costs stemming from a collision caused by an uninsured driver. Instead of suing the driver, your insurance company covers your expenses. This coverage is vital if you reside in a state with lots of uninsured drivers.
Depending on where you live, some of the following options may be included in a standard AAA policy; otherwise, they can be added to your policy as add-ons.
- Accident forgiveness: If you buy accident forgiveness and add it to your policy, your rates won’t go up after an accident—even if you’re the responsible party.
- New car replacement: If you total your new car within the first two years, new car replacement insurance covers the expense of a new car.
- Roadside assistance: Sometimes known as towing and labor coverage, roadside assistance helps with things like fixing flat tires, boosting your dead battery, and towing needs.
- Gap insurance: If your car is totaled in an accident or stolen, gap insurance pays the difference between the pre-accident value of the car and the amount remaining on your car loan or lease.
- OEM exterior repair coverage: This coverage pays for the original equipment manufacturer’s parts for any fixes to your car’s external body.
- Rideshare insurance: If you drive for a rideshare company, rideshare insurance will protect you in between rides. Typically, rideshare companies only cover you from when you pick up a passenger until you drop them off.
- Custom equipment coverage: This coverage will cover the cost of replacing items installed after you buy the car such as rims, a sound system, or cameras.
- Pet coverage: This covers any veterinary bills for your pet if they’re injured in a car accident.
How much does AAA auto insurance cost?
To buy AAA car insurance you’ll need to become a member of AAA. This means that along with paying your premiums, you’ll need to pay membership fees.
That said, the average annual auto insurance premium for minimum insurance with AAA is $1,750. For full coverage, which offers you better financial protection, the average premium is $3,104. AAA premiums will vary depending on your location.
Insurance companies, including AAA, measure various factors when determining your insurance rate, including vehicle type, your driving history, and your personal profile. Not surprisingly, premiums vary significantly for each driver.
Here are the average monthly payments for minimum and full-coverage insurance with AAA:
|Average Monthly Cost for Minimum Coverage||Average Monthly Cost for Full Coverage|
If you’re a younger driver and you’re insured with AAA, you’ll pay an average of $2,625 per year. Older drivers usually pay less—an average of $2,434 per year.
Age is a key factor for insurers when calculating premiums. Data shows that teenage drivers are almost three times as likely as drivers over 20 to get into a collision. Such a risk means younger drivers pay much higher rates than the average driver.
Here’s what drivers pay with AAA based on their age group:
|Age Group||Annual Cost|
AAA offers insurance to drivers of all ages, but you need to be a AAA member to qualify for car insurance.
AAA will insure drivers with recent accidents on their record, but premiums will be higher than normal. You may be able to find cheaper coverage with another carrier that specializes in high-risk drivers.
Here’s the average annual cost of AAA insurance for drivers with a violation on their record:
|Driving Infraction||Annual Cost|
|Wrong Way/Wrong Lane||$2,749||$1,682|
|Driving on Sus. License||$2,503||$1,262|
|Speeding over 15||$2,575||$1,113|
|Failure to Obey Traffic Sign||$2,401||$1,170|
|Speeding under 15||$2,534||$989|
|Leaving scene of an Accident/Hit and Run||$1,936||$893|
|Passing School Bus||$2,526||$162|
Key Takeaway AAA offers insurance for drivers of all ages but it may not be the most affordable choice for drivers who are considered high risk.
As a licensed broker, Jerry helps you compare and buy car insurance anywhere in the country. In just 45 seconds you’ll be browsing through dozens of competitive quotes from premier insurance companies.
Once you make your pick, Jerry will finalize all the paperwork and cancel your old policy for you.
Here’s the average annual cost of AAA insurance for each state:
Key Takeaway Jerry helps you find the best coverage at the most affordable price, regardless of where you live.
Most AAA members will receive a discount on their car insurance as a reward for membership. AAA also offers a slew of discounts to help policyholders lower their car insurance premiums.
While the discounts may be small on their own, combined they will take a significant bite out of your annual rate.
Here are some of the most common driver- and vehicle-based discounts from insurers offering AAA (which vary by region):
|Good driver||Safe driving habits can snag you a discount of up to 20%.|
|Good student||If you keep your grades high, you may qualify for a discount of up to 15% off your premiums.|
|Student away from home||Students living 100 miles or more away from their home address may qualify to save up to 46% off select coverage.|
|Safety||You may qualify for a discount on your comprehensive policy with AAA-approved anti-theft devices.|
|New young driver||As a new young driver, you may be entitled to a small discount on your rates.|
|Defensive driver training||You may get a discount of up to 4.7% on certain coverage if you pass an AAA-approved driver training course.|
|Occupation or education||Depending on where you work and where you go to school, you may qualify for a small discount on your premium.|
|Loyalty||If you stick with AAA for one continuous year, you’ll qualify for a 5% discount upon renewal.|
|AAA OnBoard||AAA’s telematics program tracks your driving behavior—and if you’ve got good driving habits, you may qualify for savings on your premiums.|
Here are some typical policy-based discounts offered by AAA:
|Multiple policies||If you bundle your auto insurance policy with home, life, renter’s, or condo insurance, you can qualify for significant overall discounts—between 9% and 22%.|
|Auto payment||Switching to automatic payments with AAA will earn you a small discount.|
|Paperless||Handling your policy strictly online provides a small discount.|
|Payment in full||You’ll get a discounted rate if you pay your premium up front and in full.|
|Multiple cars||Insuring more than one vehicle with AAA will get you a discount of up to 27%.|
AAA offers OnBoard, a telematics insurance program that uses a mobile app to measure driving habits. AAA tracks metrics such as driver speed, braking habits, when you drive, mobile phone distractions, and more.
If you display safe driving habits, your insurer may reward you with reduced rates at your next renewal period.
Despite being known as a car membership organization, AAA offers a highly regarded lineup of additional insurance products:
- Homeowners / renters / condo
- International travel medical
- Medicare supplement
- Boat and watercraft
Things to keep in mind
AAA customers can pay premiums, make claims, and get quotes right through the AAA website. After entering your ZIP code, you’ll be routed to a club where you live. You can also pay your premium through AAA’s Auto Club app.
To cancel your AAA insurance policy, get in touch with your local AAA insurer or call 1-877-387-8378. An agent will let you know if you need to pay a cancellation fee. If you need help securing a refund, Jerry can offer assistance.
When canceling, you’ll need to:
- Provide your policy number
- Ask that any recurring payments be stopped and that your contract be terminated immediately
- Answer any questions to the best of your knowledge
- Ask for AAA to confirm via email that your policy has been canceled