Why you can trust Jerry
Jerry partners with some of the companies we write about. However, our content is written and reviewed by an independent team of editors and licensed insurance agents, and never influenced by our partnerships. Learn more baout how we make money, review our editorial standards, reference out data methodology, or view a list of our partners
- What you’ll need to get a replacement title in North Dakota
- How to apply for a replacement title in North Dakota
- How long does it take to get a replacement title in North Dakota?
- When do you need a replacement title?
- Finding insurance for your vehicle
Load full table of contents
If you’ve lost or damaged your car’s title, you can obtain a duplicate from the North Dakota DMV for $5 in person or by mail. You’ll need to indicate whether the title was lost, stolen, or mutilated in your application.
Your title is an important legal document that signifies you as the car’s owner—and if you ever need to sell your car or otherwise transfer ownership, you’ll need to transfer the title, too. If you happen to lose your title, you should apply for a replacement right away.
Here, the car insurance shopping app and licensed broker Jerry breaks down the process of obtaining a North Dakota replacement title.
What you’ll need to get a replacement title in North Dakota
Before you complete your application, you’ll need to gather some information and documentation. North Dakota requires:
- Your registration certificate
- Your driver’s license number
- The car’s VIN (vehicle identification number)
- Lien release form (if you have a lienholder)
- Odometer reading (if vehicle is less than 10 years old)
Contact your ND DMV branch if you’re trying to get a new title because you’ve legally changed your name or recently set up a power of attorney. You may be asked to provide additional documentation.
How to apply for a replacement title in North Dakota
You can apply for a new title from the North Dakota DMV in person or by mail. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- If going in person, find your nearest DMV branch
- Fill out the Application for Certificate of Title and Registration
- Check “Duplicate Title” and circle your reason for needing a duplicate “(lost, stolen, mutilated)” near the top of the form
- Enter all your personal information
- Enter as much of the requested vehicle information as you can
- If mailing, enclose a check or money order for $5. Otherwise, pay at the DMV
- If mailing, send to: Department of Transportation, Motor Vehicle Division, 608 E. Boulevard Ave., Bismarck, ND 58505
If you’ve moved to North Dakota from another state and lost your original title, you will need to contact the state that issued your original title to try to get a replacement.
Compare auto insurance policies
No spam or unwanted phone calls · No long forms · No fees, ever
How long does it take to get a replacement title in North Dakota?
Whether you apply in person or by mail, the title will be mailed to you within one or two weeks. Note that if you have a lienholder, they are considered the primary owner and the title will be mailed to their address.
When do you need a replacement title?
Since you’ll need to present or sign your title in a variety of significant situations—including when selling a car or moving to another state—it’s important that you always have yours accessible.
You should apply for a duplicate title in North Dakota if your original is:
- Mutilated or damaged
- Never received from the DMV
If you come across your original title after you’ve applied for a duplicate, you’ll need to relinquish the original title to the ND DMV. You can only possess one title for your vehicle at a time.
Remember to store your title somewhere that you remember and is secure, like a cabinet or safe.
Finding insurance for your vehicle
While you’re thinking about your car’s title, make sure you take a look and make sure your registration and car insurance are also up-to-date.
Finding affordable car insurance has never been easier, thanks to Jerry. As a licensed broker, Jerry browses quotes from over 50 top providers and delivers the most competitive quotes to your phone.
Once you find a policy you like, just select it and Jerry will help cancel your existing policy and register for the new one—no long forms, phone queues, or awkward break-ups with your old agent required.
“Jerry had a super simple app that was easy to navigate. And their terrific customer service made everything even easier. Plus I saved $700 in a single year.” —Lucia M.
Haven’t shopped for insurance in the last six months? There might be hundreds $$$ in savings waiting for you.
Judith switched to Progressive
Saved $725 annually
Alexander switched to Travelers
Saved $834 annually
Annie switched to Nationwide
Saved $668 annually
Can I apply for a replacement title by mail?
You can apply for a North Dakota duplicate title by mail. Make sure to enclose a check or money order for $5, as cash will not be accepted.