How to Join AAA and Make Sure You Have Roadside Assistance Coverage
Founded more than 100 years ago, the American Automobile Association, or AAA, provides a variety of services for its members, including car insurance, travel planning, and roadside assistance. Millions of people turn to AAA every day to help them get around and stay safe while on the road.
But how exactly do you join AAA, and how do you get access to the roadside assistance coverage they offer? Here’s how to join the organization and get roadside assistance.
How to join AAA
You can join AAA simply by providing some basic required information. Then you just need to pick one of the available plans the organization offers. But first, you have one of two options when joining AAA — online or through a local office.
- Join AAA online: To join AAA online, first visit the AAA website. Once there, supply the required information, including the following:
- Your name, including first, last, and middle initial
- The number of additional members you want to add
- The name of any additional persons you want to add to your membership
- Your mailing address, including street address, city, state, and zip code
- Your email address
- Your home phone number
You then choose how you wish to pay for your AAA membership and supply the appropriate payment information. You also need to enter your billing address if it is different from your mailing address.
- Apply for AAA in person: Applying for a AAA membership in person requires you to travel to your local AAA office. You can find a AAA branch near you by visiting the AAA website, by looking online, or by calling 866-222-6595.
- Compare plans: Regardless of if you want to apply for a AAA membership online or in person, you must choose a plan that offers the level of service you want. The different plans include the following choices.
- The Classic plan offers the first year for free and a lower annual fee.
- The Plus plan requires you to pay for the first year at a discounted rate and provides additional benefits as detailed in the next section.
- The Premier plan represents the most expensive of the membership choices, but it also offers the most benefits for members (detailed in the next section) who elect this level of coverage.
How to sign up for AAA roadside assistance
When you sign up for a AAA membership, you automatically receive enrollment in the organization’s popular roadside assistance program. Keep in mind that depending on your membership level, you only have a certain amount of roadside assistance you get for free. After that, you must pay for services rendered. Depending on which level of service you sign up for, you qualify for the following benefits:
- Plus Membership: The service changes a flat tire with an inflated spare, provides a battery boost if needed, offers free fuel delivery, and gives a free lockout service for up to $100. The service also provides up to 100 miles of free towing.
- Premier Membership: Like the other two membership levels, Premier members get a free tire change with an inflated spare and a free battery boost. In addition, Premier members get free fuel delivery, no charge for lockout services up to $150, and one 200-mile tow and three 100-mile tows.
As a member of AAA, you have many different benefits, including using its roadside assistance program. The greatest benefit, of course, is peace of mind and knowing that someone will help you out if you’re ever stranded on the side of the road.