Does Renters Insurance Cover Flood Damage?

Compare quotes from 50+ top insurance companies for free with Jerry
No long forms · No spam · No fees
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.
Floods and flood damages usually aren't covered by your standard renters insurance policy, though you could get coverage as an add-on.
Standard renters insurance policies provide coverage for your belongings if they're damaged or broken, but typically only if the cause of damage is one of the named perils, or risks, listed within your agreement.
If you live in an area that is at high-risk for floods, you can purchase flood insurance as a renters insurance policy add-on by contacting your provider and enrolling through a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) program or private insurance firm.
Read on to learn more from Jerry about renters insurance coverage and whether you should take out an additional flood insurance policy.
Let Jerry find your price in only 45 seconds
No spam · No long forms · No fees
Find insurance savings (100% Free)

Does renters insurance come with flood coverage?

No, standard renters insurance policies do not cover floods.
In the event of a covered emergency, typical minimum renters insurance will provide you with funds to reimburse and/or replace your damaged personal property without you having to pay anything out-of-pocket (after your deductible is met). But unless you have taken out an all-perils policy, flood damage is not covered by most renters insurance agreements, as it is both an expensive and high-risk event.
Some policies may cover the cost of repairs for sudden and accidental water damage, such as internal leaks or burst pipes, but the vast majority do not extend to flood damage.
Here’s a simple way to think about it: Your renters insurance probably covers any damage made from water inside the home, while add-on flood insurance covers damages from water that comes into the home from outside.

Purchasing a separate flood insurance policy may be beneficial to some renters

If you live in an area that is at high-risk for flooding, you should certainly consider purchasing this insurance add-on. To increase your financial security and limit out-of-pocket expenses from damage to furniture, electronics, and other personal property, you must purchase a flood insurance policy in one of two ways:
Option 1: Purchase insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Subsidized by the federal government, the NFIP exists in certain areas and provides flood insurance coverage with a limit of $100,000 on an actual cash value basis.
This means that your insurance will reimburse you for damages made to all of your personal belongings, without consideration for how their value has depreciated over time, allowing for the maximum repayment option.
Option 2: Purchase coverage through a private insurance company. Though this option is slightly riskier and may provide you with less coverage and more personal liability, it is a great option for renters who do not live in high-risk areas.
So long as your insurance company has the ability to fulfill all claims in the event of a localized catastrophic disaster, such as a powerful hurricane or tropical storm, you will be sufficiently covered.
Tip: Utilize FEMA’s online flood map to determine your home’s level of risk for flooding.
Haven’t shopped for insurance in the last six months? There might be hundreds $$$ in savings waiting for you.
Judith switched to Progressive
icon savingsSaved $725 annually
Alexander switched to Travelers
icon savingsSaved $834 annually
Annie switched to Nationwide
icon savingsSaved $668 annually

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free