Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Damage Caused by Vehicles?

Find out if you’re getting ripped off on your car insurance in less than two minutes.
No long forms · No spam · No fees
Car accidents happen every day and everywhere, and usually, they only cause damages to other cars. But in some cases, they crash into buildings and damage properties. So, if you are unlucky enough for a vehicle to crash into your home, would you be covered by your insurance? The answer is… probably.

Does Your Insurance Cover a Car Crashing Into Your Home?

The good news is that yes, you would most likely be covered by your insurance since most standard homeowners policies name damages caused by a motor vehicle as a covered peril.
However, you might not have to use this coverage at all. Why? Because whenever a driver crashes into your home, they are most likely the one at fault; this would trigger their car insurance’s property damage coverage to cover the damages they caused to your home.

What Happens When Their Coverage Is Not Enough?

Many people choose to save money by picking the lowest insurance coverage possible; usually, it is the one required by their state. If the person who crashed into your house has only the minimum coverage in place, it might not be enough to cover the full amount of the damages.
For example, the damages caused to your house amount to a total of $30,000, but the driver’s insurance policy has a limit of $25,000. Who covers the extra $5,000?
Is this case, you should be able to file a claim for the difference through your home insurance company. And, between the two insurance policies, you should be able to cover 100% of the damages caused by the accident.

What Happens If They’re Uninsured?

In this case, you will have to rely on your home insurance policy to cover the damages and hope that they don’t surpass your limit.
However, depending on the type of car insurance you have, you might be able to get some additional coverage there as well. Some extensive coverages list “uninsured/underinsured motorist property damage coverage” as a covered peril. If this is your case, your car insurance might complement your home insurance and cover the accident’s full costs.
Make sure to check with your car insurance company to see if you are currently covered against uninsured drivers and what is your policy’s limit.

What If Someone Gets Injured?

Unfortunately, property may not be the only thing affected in an accident. If someone gets hurt in the accident, the coverage process would be similar to the property coverage. The at-fault driver’s policy should cover the medical expenses of anyone who was affected by the crash.
And, much like the previous example, if their coverage is not enough to cover the full costs, you can then file a claim through your homeowners insurance company to cover the rest through your liability coverage.

What if You Crashing Into Your Own House?

If this is the case, things might work a bit differently. The first thing to know is that you would have to file a claim through your car insurance company and your home insurance company. Your car insurance should cover any damages suffered by your car, and your homeowners insurance company should cover any damages caused to your property.
However, make sure to check with your insurance companies to make sure that you would be covered in this case as some rules and exceptions may apply.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free