Why you can trust Jerry
Jerry partners with some of the companies we write about. However, our content is written and reviewed by an independent team of editors and licensed insurance agents, and never influenced by our partnerships. Learn more baout how we make money, review our editorial standards, reference out data methodology, or view a list of our partners
- What is classic car insurance?
- Oregon classic car insurance
- What impacts the cost of classic car insurance in Oregon?
- Benefits of classic car insurance
- Coverage options for classic car insurance
- Finding affordable car insurance for your classic car
Load full table of contents
In Oregon, vehicles are usually considered classic cars if they are exclusively used for exhibition events and/or they are over 60 years old, although the age requirement changes with each passing year.
Classic and antique cars usually need more protection than a typical car. Replacement parts can be hard to find, and you probably don’t drive your classic car as often.
That’s why it’s important to get insurance coverage that’s specifically geared towards your classic car.
The Jerry app is a great place to find affordable rates on classic car insurance. Jerry will send you cheap quotes from 50+ top insurance companies, get you signed up for a better policy, and even help you cancel your old policy.
Before you start saving money on a new policy, here’s what you need to know about classic car insurance in Oregon.
What is classic car insurance?
Classic car insurance will give you a lot of the same coverages available on a standard insurance policy, but this protection adds special services that are ideal for classic or antique cars.
What is a classic or antique car?
Classic and antique cars are older cars with some kind of historical significance.
In the insurance world, the age of the car usually determines the difference between a classic car and an antique. According to State Farm, classic cars are between 10 and 24 years old, while antique cars are over 24 years old.
Certain high-value cars may be classified as collector cars, and they may be eligible for a special kind of classic car insurance.
What makes classic car insurance different?
Generally, classic car insurance is less expensive than regular car insurance and offers options that are tailored to your specific make, model, and year. Because each car is unique, there is no standard rate for classic car insurance. You will agree upon the car’s value and insurance price with your provider before you buy the policy.
Many classic car insurance policies also have specific eligibility requirements for classic or antique cars that they cover, like:
- The car must be stored in a secure location
- The car cannot be driven very frequently
- The car must be preserved in its original condition or be undergoing active restoration
MORE: Classic car coverage
Compare auto insurance policies
No spam or unwanted phone calls · No long forms · No fees, ever
Oregon classic car insurance
To qualify for classic car insurance in Oregon, your car must be one of the following:
- Manufactured before a set date. The set date is calculated as the midpoint between 1900 and the current year. In 2021, that would include all cars manufactured before 1961.
- Used exclusively for special events like parades, exhibitions, and car shows.
Minimum insurance coverage for classic cars in Oregon must include:
- $25,000 of bodily injury liability per person
- $50,000 of bodily injury liability per accident
- $20,000 of property damage liability per accident
- $15,000 of personal injury protection (PIP) per person
- $25,000 of uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage per person
- $50,000 of uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage per accident
What impacts the cost of classic car insurance in Oregon?
Usually, classic car insurance policies are less expensive than standard auto insurance policies, but your rates will depend on the type of coverage you need.
Here are some factors that will affect your classic car insurance rate:
- Model year
- Stated or guaranteed value
- Your driving record
Benefits of classic car insurance
Here are some of the reasons that classic car insurance can be more beneficial than standard car insurance:
- Higher level of protection if your car is damaged or stolen
- Rates tend to be 40% to 70% lower
- Guaranteed flatbed towing (ideal for classic cars)
- Higher coverage limits
- More flexible deductibles and mileage limits
- Agents and claims adjusters will be more knowledgeable about issues specific to classic cars
Do I need classic car insurance?
If you have any of the following, you likely need specialty coverage:
- Antique & classic cars
- Vintage boats
- Modern collector vehicles
- Modified vehicles
- Classic trucks and utility vehicles
- Motorsports vehicles
- Vintage motorcycles and scooters
- Retired commercial vehicles
- Collector trailers
- Vehicles under construction
- Classic military vehicles
- Antique tractors
Coverage options for classic car insurance
Your insurance coverage options will depend on your specific make, model, year, and mileage, as well as your comfort level when it comes to preparing for unexpected events.
Here are some common coverage options for classic cars:
|Collision||This covers damages resulting from an accident with another car or stationary object.|
|Comprehensive||This covers damage from unexpected non-collision events like severe weather, theft, and vandalism.|
|Uninsured/underinsured motorist||This covers damages from an accident involving an uninsured driver.|
|Agreed value coverage||If your classic car is totaled in an accident, this will pay the agreed value of your car (minus the deductible), as opposed to the depreciated value that standard collision policies would pay.|
|Flexible mileage||This allows you to adjust your policy based on how often you drive your classic car.|
|Roadside assistance||This covers tire changes, towing, lockouts, and other roadside emergency expenses.|
|Spare parts||This covers the cost of repairing or replacing spare parts for your classic car—even ones that are pricey or uncommon.|
Finding affordable car insurance for your classic car
If you’re looking for an affordable and personalized car insurance policy for your classic car, Jerry is a great resource.
Jerry is a personal insurance broker that lives in your pocket. But don’t worry about buying tiny office furniture— Jerry is an app. Once you download Jerry, just answer a handful of questions that will take you roughly 45 seconds to complete and you’ll immediately get car insurance quotes for coverage similar to your current plan.
Jerry customers save an average of $879 a year.
“My policy covers two people and four cars: a truck, SUV, convertible, and muscle car. Jerry helped me go from paying $308 a month to $125 a month with the same coverage. I’m loving the savings.” ––Jocelyn A.
Thousands of customers saved on average $887/year on their car insurance with Jerry
This app is great, but the customer service is even better! Not to mention convenient! My husband and I got the lowest rate (much lower than the rates I was finding online through my own searches), quickly, and pretty much all through text message! Thank you so much for a hassle free experience👍