Why you can trust Jerry
Jerry partners with some of the companies we write about. However, our content is written and reviewed by an independent team of editors and licensed insurance agents, and never influenced by our partnerships. Learn more baout how we make money, review our editorial standards, reference out data methodology, or view a list of our partners
- What is classic car insurance?
- North Dakota classic car insurance
- What impacts the cost of classic car insurance in North Dakota?
- Benefits of classic car insurance
- Coverage options for classic car insurance
- Finding cheap car insurance for your classic car
Load full table of contents
If you own a classic or antique car in North Dakota, you’ll need specialty coverage that meets the state minimum requirements for liability insurance, uninsured motorist coverage, and personal injury protection (PIP).
Owning a classic car offers special pleasures you won’t get from your everyday car. It also demands more specialized protection than you’d get from a regular auto insurance policy. Your classic probably sees less time on the road and costs more to maintain than your daily driver. It’s likely worth more, too.
Car insurance comparison shopping app Jerry can help you find the best rate on insurance for your classic car. Before you download the app and start comparing rates, check out Jerry’s guide to all the ins and outs of classic car insurance in North Dakota.
What is classic car insurance?
Classic car insurance covers most of the same things as a regular auto insurance policy. The difference is in restrictions and rates.
You’ll have some limitations on your insurance policy, such as a mileage cap that limits how many miles you can put on the car each year. You’ll also pay a lower rate based on the agreed value of your vehicle.
What is a classic or antique car?
Definitions vary, but in general, a classic car is any vehicle with historic interest that’s between 10 and 24 years old (think a muscle car or hot rod).
An antique car, for insurance purposes, is any vehicle 25 years or older.
What makes classic car insurance different?
Good news—classic car insurance tends to be less expensive than regular car insurance! Your rate will be based on the agreed value of your car, determined between you and your insurer at the start of the insurance process.
Because classic cars don’t have a standard “book value” based on make and model, agreeing on the value of the vehicle is an important first step.
Classic car insurance also comes with a lot of requirements, including:
- Storage: You’ll need to have secure storage for your vehicle, like a locked garage.
- Mileage: For insurance purposes, a classic car can only be used for infrequent driving, so you’ll have a limit specified in your policy on the miles you can add to your car each year.
- Condition: Unless it’s still in the process of being restored, your classic car must be restored, maintained, and preserved in its original condition.
MORE: Classic car coverage
North Dakota classic car insurance
In North Dakota, your car must be at least 40 years old to qualify for classic car insurance.
The minimum coverage required for a classic car in North Dakota is as follows:
- Bodily injury liability coverage: $25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident in which two or more people are injured
- Property damage liability coverage: $25,000 per accident
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: $25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident
- Personal injury protection (PIP): $30,000 per person
What impacts the cost of classic car insurance in North Dakota?
In general, classic car insurance is less expensive than regular car insurance policies. But your exact rate will depend on a number of factors, including the specific coverage needs of your vehicle beyond North Dakota’s minimum requirements.
Here are some factors that might impact your classic car insurance rate:
- Stated or guaranteed value
- Your driving record
- Model year
Benefits of classic car insurance
The bottom line: regular car insurance just won’t provide your classic or antique vehicle with enough protection against loss or damage. Any time a car’s value exceeds its original selling price, specialized classic car insurance can provide the right kind of protection.
Some benefits of classic car insurance include:
- Rates 40% to 70% lower than standard car insurance
- Higher coverage limits (often up to $500,000)
- Claims handling from fellow car enthusiasts
- Flexible deductible options
- Guaranteed or agreed value coverage
- Optional coverage for spare parts and memorabilia
- Roadside assistance using only flatbed tow trucks
- Potential discounts on approved collector car club memberships
Do I need classic car insurance?
Do you own any of the following vehicles? If so, you probably need specialty coverage.
- Antique & classic cars
- Vintage boats
- Modern collector vehicles
- Modified vehicles
- Classic trucks and utility vehicles
- Motorsports vehicles
- Vintage motorcycles and scooters
- Retired commercial vehicles
- Collector trailers
- Vehicles under construction
- Classic military vehicles
- Antique tractors
Coverage options for classic car insurance
The coverage options you choose for your classic car will depend on your vehicle’s protection needs. Consider some of the following options for classic car insurance in North Dakota:
|Comprehensive||Covers damage that isn’t the result of a collision, such as from severe weather or vandalism.|
|Collision||Covers damages resulting from a collision with another vehicle or stationary object.|
|Uninsured/underinsured motorist||Covers damages if you’re involved in an accident with a driver who doesn’t have auto insurance.|
|Agreed value coverage||If you’re in a covered accident and your classic car is a total loss, you’ll receive the full agreed-upon value (minus your deductible) without any deduction for depreciation.|
|Flexible mileage||Tiered mileage plans give you the flexibility to customize your policy based on how much you actually drive your classic car.|
|Roadside assistance||Coverage for tire changes, towing, and other incidental expenses that aren’t part of a typical auto insurance policy.|
|Spare parts||Add coverage for loss or damages to classic spare parts—even ones that are expensive or hard to find.|
Finding cheap car insurance for your classic car
Want to save money on classic car insurance in North Dakota? Download the Jerry app, a licensed insurance broker that can help you find the lowest possible rate on your classic car insurance policy. Jerry will compare rates from dozens of leading insurance companies and get you competitive quotes in less than two minutes.
Dreading the paperwork? Jerry will fill out all the forms and cancel any old policies to get you set up with your new rate with a minimum of hassle and a maximum in savings!
“Jerry was fast and easy to use. Their customer service was so helpful in helping me navigate the situation my state is dealing with. Now I’m saving an extra $100 every 6 months!” ––Tony C.