Why you can trust Jerry
Jerry partners with some of the companies we write about. However, our content is written and reviewed by an independent team of editors and licensed insurance agents, and never influenced by our partnerships. Learn more baout how we make money, review our editorial standards, reference out data methodology, or view a list of our partners
As a luxury brand with excellent reliability ratings, Lexus vehicles tend to be surprisingly cheaper to maintain than the average luxury car, with an annual repair cost of around $551—less than the average car maintenance cost of $652.
When you’re purchasing a Lexus, unfortunately, the expenses don’t stop once you drive off the lot. That being said, it is vital to properly maintain your Lexus to ensure it runs smoothly. Also, keep in mind that, every year, one Lexus may cost more to repair than another.
To help you understand what to expect with your new Lexus, the car insurance broker and comparison shopping app Jerry has put together everything you need to know about whether a Lexus is pricey to maintain—good news for you, they usually aren’t!
How much maintenance does my Lexus need?
Lexus is a Japanese luxury brand under the Toyota umbrella. Lexus vehicles have high-reliability ratings, and you can expect a Lexus to need a fair bit less maintenance than most other cars on the road.
On average, RepairPal notes that a Lexus is typically brought in for repairs slightly above the average vehicle (0.5 times a year) for unscheduled maintenance. However, only about 8% of those visits are deemed severe—which is significantly lower than the average rate (12%) for most cars.
How much does service for a Lexus cost?
On average, a Lexus costs about $551 per year for regular maintenance.
That being said, maintenance costs will depend on the kind of Lexus you drive. Below you’ll find the average yearly maintenance costs for some of the most popular Lexus vehicles on the road.
- Reliability: 4.5/5 (average)
- Annual maintenance cost: $359 (average)
- Repair frequency: 0.4 times per year (average)
- Reliability: 4.5/5 (average)
- Annual maintenance cost: $523 (average)
- Repair frequency: 0.4 times per year
- Reliability: 3.5/5 (average)
- Annual maintenance cost: $1073 (average)
- Repair frequency: 0.8 times per year
Why you should maintain your Lexus
There are lots of advantages to bringing your Lexus in for standard maintenance regularly:
- Keeps it in peak driving condition
- Maintains your safety while driving
- Keeps the value of your car high
- Saves you money by preventing costly issues from cropping up in the future
If you don’t take your Lexus in for regular maintenance, you’re exposing it to more wear and tear, damage, and potentially significant future issues—not to mention wasting the brand’s value.
Key Takeaway The pricier your Lexus, the more likely you are to face slightly higher repair costs at your mechanic.
How often does a Lexus need maintenance?
|Every 10,000 miles||Minor maintenance service: oil and filter change, tire rotation, safety check; visual check on belts, hoses, and brakes; fluid leak check||$330 to $386|
|Every 20,000 miles||Potential brake pad replacements, servicing any recalls||$330 to $386|
|Every 30,000 miles||Replace fluids including brake fluid, transmission fluid, and engine coolant; spark plug replacement||$605 to $725|
|Every 40,000 miles||Oil change, tire rotation, safety check; inspect and potentially replace suspension bushings, motor mounts, drive belts, and hoses||$330 to $386|
|Every 60,000 miles||Replace timing belt or perform valve adjustment; replace drive belt; service any recalls||$605 to $725|
- When: Usually required every 5,000 to 7,500 miles
- Cost: $60 to $180
- Why: Removes excess dirt and grime that can build up on engine walls and hinder performance
- DIY?: Yes—if you have the right tools
- When: NHTSA recommends that tires be swapped out every six years, regardless of the number of miles driven
- Cost: $150 to $600
- Why: Worn tires have less grip and handle poorly, especially in bad weather
- DIY?: No—let a professional replace your Lexus tires to ensure new tires are balanced for even wear and a smooth drive
- When: If your engine is damaged from a collision, you have a cracked engine block, or the engine has reached the end of its lifespan
- Cost: ~$2,500
- Why: A properly-functioning engine is key to ensuring your Lexus has a long life
- DIY?: No—avoid trying this yourself and take the car to a professional mechanic
- When: If a windshield crack exceeds the length of a dollar bill, goes halfway-deep into the glass, or extends to the windshield’s outer edges
- Cost: $350 to $750 (though some consumers report Lexus windshield replacements costing around $1000)
- Why: Driving with a cracked windshield can seriously hinder your vision
- DIY?: No—installing a new windshield yourself isn’t recommended
- When: If the car’s paint job is peeling or is visibly discolored
- Cost: $2,500 to $6,000
- Why: Paint prevents structural damage, corrosion, and boosts a car’s resale value
- DIY?: Maybe—but a professional-looking paint job requires specialized tools and lots of time and patience
Finding cheap car insurance
Keeping your Lexus in tip-top shape is about more than just taking it to the mechanic on the regular. Having good car insurance will keep your Lexus protected in even the most unexpected situations.
If you’re looking to save some cash on car insurance, the insurance comparison app Jerry is the best place to start. As a licensed broker, Jerry takes care of all the tedious aspects of insurance policy shopping—from comparing quotes to dealing with the paperwork when you choose a new insurance plan.
And to ensure you always have the cheapest rate, Jerry will send you new quotes each time your policy comes up for renewal, so you’re always getting the coverage you want at the best price.
This is why Jerry earns both rave reviews and a 4.6/5 rating on the App Store, making it the top insurance app in the country.
“This was so easy! Signing up with Jerry saved me $499 on my semi-annual car insurance—as if it was nothing!” —Kache P.