Why you can trust Jerry
Jerry partners with some of the companies we write about. However, our content is written and reviewed by an independent team of editors and licensed insurance agents, and never influenced by our partnerships. Learn more baout how we make money, review our editorial standards, reference out data methodology, or view a list of our partners
At $608 per year, Buicks are on par with average maintenance costs—and they’re fairly reliable.
On top of the purchase price, you’ll need to budget for proper maintenance to keep your Buick running smoothly. Some makes and models will cost more than others to maintain.
To help you understand what to expect with your new (or new-to-you) Buick, the car insurance comparison shopping and broker app Jerry has compiled everything you need to know about whether Buicks are expensive to maintain.
How much maintenance does my Buick require?
When it comes to reliability, Buick ranks at 13 out of 32 car brands. As such, you can expect your Buick to require a normal (or less than normal!) amount of maintenance compared to most cars.
RepairPal notes that, on average, Buicks visit the repair shop about 0.3 times per year for unscheduled maintenance. Of these repairs, 13% are considered severe. That rate is slightly higher than the average of 12% across all models.
For comparison, Cadillacs tend to visit the repair shop 0.4 times per year with 17% of repairs considered severe.
How much does maintenance for a Buick cost?
On average, a Buick costs about $608 per year for standard maintenance.
That said, your Buick maintenance costs can vary widely depending on which model you own. Below are the average annual maintenance costs for a few popular Buick models.
Budget: Buick Verano
- Reliability: 4/5 (average)
- Annual maintenance cost: $391 (average)
- Repair frequency: 0.2 times per year (average)
Mid-range: Buick Encore
- Reliability: 4/5 (average)
- Annual maintenance cost: $511 (average)
- Repair frequency: 0.1 times per year (average)
Splurge: Buick Enclave
- Reliability: 3/5 (average)
- Annual maintenance cost: $648 (average)
- Repair frequency: 0.5 times per year (average)
Why you should maintain your Buick
Here are some of the key benefits of performing regular maintenance on your Buick:
- Safer to drive
- Catch problems early on before they become costly or dangerous
- Get the best performance possible out of your vehicle
- Keep the value of your car high
If you do not perform regular maintenance, you risk driving an unsafe vehicle. You also increase the chance of having an expensive and inconvenient breakdown.
Key Takeaway More expensive Buicks tend to cost more to maintain, although on the whole Buicks are affordable and reliable.
How often does a Buick require maintenance?
|Every 5,000 miles||Oil change, tire rotation||$145|
|Every 20,000 miles||Change cabin and engine air filters||$230|
|Every 30,000 miles||Service driveline, clean and inspect drive axle boot seals||$820|
|Every 45,000 miles||Service the cooling system and transmission||$350|
|Every 90,000 miles||Replace drive belts and spark plugs||$250|
Note that different models may have different maintenance schedules, so check with your owner’s manual or dealer.
- When: Usually required every 5,000 miles
- Cost: $112 to $121, including labor and parts
- Why: Important to remove excess dirt that can build up in your engine from use
- DIY?: Maybe—if you have the right tools
- When: NHTSA recommends that tires be replaced every six years, regardless of the number of miles driven
- Cost: $100 to $300 per tire, not including installation costs
- Why: Worn out tires are not safe and can lead to your car hydroplaning in wet weather
- DIY?: No—it’s best to let a professional handle the tire replacement so they can ensure your new tires are balanced for even wear and a smooth ride
Compare auto insurance policies
No spam or unwanted phone calls · No long forms · No fees, ever
- When: If the engine block is cracked, damaged in a collision, or simply worn out due to high-mileage
- Cost: $6,500+
- Why: A healthy engine will prolong the life of your car
- DIY?: No—take your car to a reputable mechanic for engine replacement
- When: If the crack is longer than your hand, extends to the outer edge of the windshield, or is deep enough that it goes halfway into the windshield
- Cost: $350 to $675
- Why: A severely cracked windshield can impair your vision
- DIY?: No—avoid attempting to install a new windshield yourself
- When: Visible discoloration or paint peeling
- Cost: $1,000 to $4,500
- Why: A good paint job can prevent corrosion and improve resale value
- DIY?: Possible—but a professional-looking paint job requires specific tools and knowledge, not to mention a safe place to apply the paint
- When: If you hear clunking or squeaking, or if you notice excessive leaning
- Cost: $104 to $144
- Why: A good sway bar helps your suspension and improves your ability to corner safely
- DIY?: No—this is a job for your mechanic
- When: If you notice temperature gauge issues or if your engine is overheating
- Cost: $236 to $268
- Why: A nonfunctional thermostat could result in a cold engine, which will damage the vehicle
- DIY?: Possibly. Be sure you have the skill and space to complete the replacement.
- When: If you hear whining noises or notice leaks
- Cost: $217 to $357
- Why: This part is essential for helping coolant circulate and preventing overheating
- DIY?: No—you’ll need an expert for this repair
- When: Misfires and engine stalling are two telltale signs of a manifold problem
- Cost: $493 to $672
- Why: The manifold controls the air-fuel ratio, and a bad one could lead to engine problems
- DIY?: No—take your Buick to an auto garage for manifold problems
Finding cheap car insurance
Maintaining your Buick takes more than a regular visit to the mechanic. Good car insurance is a great way to protect yourself and your vehicle from unpredictable situations.
Jerry is the easiest and most effective way to find a car insurance policy that is customized for you.
After providing you with a comprehensive cross-analysis of the best policies across providers, Jerry will handle the phone calls, paperwork, and renewals for your top pick so that you don’t have to. They even help cancel your old policy! So why do all that extra work when Jerry can do it better?
"I felt like I was paying too much for my insurance policy, so I downloaded Jerry. I literally only typed in 3 pieces of info and Jerry found my current insurance. In a few minutes, they pulled up 2 Progressive policies that showed $900 in savings over 6 months!" ––Maeve J.
Haven’t shopped for insurance in the last six months? There might be hundreds $$$ in savings waiting for you.
Judith switched to Progressive
Saved $725 annually
Alexander switched to Travelers
Saved $834 annually
Annie switched to Nationwide
Saved $668 annually